The Truth About Amelia's Adminstration, etc.

Dissolve Amelia website!

Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC) Report

What Happened Last Year

Submit Feedback

Home

Amelia Parks, Seasonal Recreation Facilities At Best!

My opinion of Amelia's parks or park system or what ever you want to call it is that at best they are at best second rate. They are bad enough that we don't even use them. If we want a picnic or a quiet walk around the park we always just drive down to the Pierce township park down at 961 Locust Corner Road. It is a beautiful park and the picnic area, childrens play area and the walking paths are on opposites sides of the road from the adult recreation areas so there is no a great deal of noise and the usual use of language when someone misses a shot for you to put up with! These parks are well designed and very well kept unlike Amelia's parks.

We also frequent the helicopter park down near Eastgate. This is also a really great park with a marvelous walking trail and we love the geese and ducks which frequent the pond area. The childrens area is also separated from the adult areas and that is very good. If you just want to exersize the walking trail is as good as any except maybe Clermont County's Sycamore Park over near Batavia. Sycamore Park is simply fabulous by any standards!

Groh Park is just a black hole! It is dark and dingy and shameful since Bob Groh was the best mayor Amelia ever had or ever will have and to have this rusty dingy park named after him is terrible. I hear they even had to put in TV cameras because the vandalism is so bad. It is a real shame and I never felt comfortable at this park. Never will either.

I think one of the real problems with Amelia's Parks is that unlike the other parks in the area Amelia has made a feeble attempt to provide parks that are too close to the residents. The old park we had where the American Legion is now was a great park. It had everything you could want and was central to all of Amelia not just stuck in the woods or in the far end of certain subdivisions. I don't know why we eliminated it but it was a big mistake. This should have been Amelia's park. The subdivisions should have had their own parks and provided themselves with what they wanted or expected when they bought their homes. I see one down in Amelia Park and up at Tall Timbers. It should have been the same for Quail Creek and Sedona Ridge.

The dog park is simply a trail of dog dodo until you reach it and that, no pun intended, stinks. We can't even keep the little doggie bag holders filled! We take pathetic care of what we call parks! My wife and I were dog sitting one day and decided to try the dog park. It is not meant for the handicaped! We did manage to get about half way back and the whole time we were walking there was a guy on a riding mower cutting the grass. Now I am an experienced mower having worked for years for a friend of mine who had a mowing business. The amount of grass in the dog park should have been mowed in a matter of minutes. When we were half way back we decided to stay clear until the mowing was done. We waited and waited and waited until I finally decided that the mowing of this small patch of ground was an all day affair for the Village public works people so we just turned around and left. By the way the dodo bag box was empty as well! Pathetic!

All this being said these observations are not the main reason that we don't even go to the parks any more. See below for my main reason:

The picture above is where you go to the bathroom for most of the year at Groh Park

The picture above is where you go to the bathroom most of the year at Shank Park.

I have never been to a park outside Amelia that does not have a place for you to go to the bathroom 365 days out of the year! The fact that at the Amelia parks you either use the trees, hide inside the structures and go, go in your pants or referably go to a park that respects you enough to take care of this very basic need shows Amelia parks should not even rate as a parks but rather a seasonal recreation facilities that are still the worst in the area in and around Amelia!

Topp

Submit Feedback
 It would be wise to edit your text in a .txt work file and then copy and paste it into the form text box. You could lose it if you forget to include the required fields or have some sort of blocking software that will not allow you to post to this form.

Your name may be used but your email address will not be published.
Your Name (required)

Your Email:

Your Feedback Text (required)